If you originally registered with a username please use that to sign in.
Thomas De Quincey books
To purchase short term access, please sign in to your Oxford Academic account above. Don't already have an Oxford Academic account?
- Maids Who Want Sissies.
- The CIO Paradox: Battling the Contradictions of IT Leadership.
- The Posthumous Works of Thomas de Quincey, Vol. 1 by Thomas de Quincey (Paperback / softback, 2012).
- An Easy Way To Understand Alzheimers Disease (Mini Health Series Book 9)!
- Thomas De Quincey - Wikisource, the free online library.
- Völkerball mit Variationen im Sportunterricht (German Edition).
- Sagen und Märchen Altindiens, Band 1 (German Edition).
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. Sign In or Create an Account.
The Posthumous Works of Thomas De Quincey, Vol. 1 by Thomas De Quincey - Free Ebook
Sign In. Advanced Search. Article Navigation. Close mobile search navigation Article Navigation.
The Posthumous Works of Thomas De Quincey, Vol. 1
Volume Email: giles. Oxford Academic.
Google Scholar. Cite Citation. Permissions Icon Permissions. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved.
More Books by Thomas De Quincey
For permissions, please email: journals. He was educated first at home, then at Bath Grammar School, next at a private school at Winkfield, Wilts, and in he was sent to the Manchester Grammar School, from which he ran away, and for some time rambled in Wales on a small allowance made to him by his mother. Tiring of this, he went to London in the end of , where he led the strange Bohemian life related in The Confessions.
- A Family Voyaging in a Rubber Boat to the Holy Land in Hope of MEETING the MESSIAH: In A Hope of Meeting the Messiah!
- Join Kobo & start eReading today.
- The Paradox of Love.
His friends, thinking it high time to interfere, sent him in to Oxford, which did not, however, preclude occasional brief interludes in London, on one of which he made his first acquaintance with opium, which was to play so prominent and disastrous a part in his future life.
In he became acquainted with Coleridge, Wordsworth, and Southey, and soon afterwards with C. During the years —9 he paid various visits to the Lakes, and in the latter year he settled at Townend, Grasmere, where Wordsworth had previously lived.
- My Life During Wartime: Guardians of the Timeline - Book 2.
- Jean Webster’s Collected Works: Daddy-Long-Legs, Dear Enemy, Just Patty, Jerry, and More! (7 Works).
- A Bibliography of Thomas De Quincey.
- Works Thomas Quincey.
- What is Kobo Super Points?.
Here he pursued his studies, becoming gradually more and more enslaved by opium, until in he was taking from to 12, drops daily. John Wilson Christopher North , who was then living at Elleray, had become his friend, and brought him to Edinburgh occasionally, which ended in his passing the latter part of his life in that city. His marriage to Margaret Simpson, daughter of a farmer, took place in Up to this time he had written nothing, but had been steeping his mind in German metaphysics, and out-of-the-way learning of various kinds; but in he sketched out Prolegomena of all future Systems of Political Economy , which, however, was never finished.
In the same year he acted as editor of the Westmoreland Gazette. In he began a collected edition of his works, which was the main occupation of his later years.
De Quincey stands among the great masters of style in the language.